Carleton College Summer Teaching
Institute (June 2002)
Neil Lutsky, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology
Web Home Page: http://www.acad.carleton.edu/curricular/PSYC/lutsky/Lutsky.html
Department of Psychology, Carleton
College, Northfield, MN 55057
List of Summer 2002 Participants
Organization and Requirements:
Course Meetings: Olin 103 and Olin
Final Projects: Due July 31.
Psychology (6th Edition) by David Myers
Psychology: Themes and Variations (5th Edition) by Wayne
Psychology and Life (16th Edition) by Richard Gerrig and
Philip Zimbardo and
Darkness Visible by William Styron.
Course Topic and Reading Schedule:
- Sunday, June 23, 7:30-9:00PM: Welcome and
introductions; Identifying our goals.
- Monday, June 24, 8:30-10:00: Teaching AP
Selected resources for AP courses:
Selected Resources Supporting the Teaching of Psychology
- Teaching of Psychology.
- Psychology Teacher Network.
- APA, Activities Handbooks for the Teaching of
- Ware & Johnson, Handbook of Demonstrations and
Activities in the Teaching of Psychology.
- Benjamin, Daniel, & Brewer, Handbook for Teaching
- Weiten, Technology Resources in Psychology.
- Video Resources:
- Discovering Psychology: Updated Edition,
- 20/20 Episodes and Transcripts,
- The Mind: Teaching Modules from Worth Publishers,
- The Brain: Teaching Modules from The
Meeting with Gaylen Johnson, College Board Representative
- Monday, June 24, 10:30-12:00: History and Systems,
Statistics and Research Methods; Ethics in Psychology.
Myers, Psychology, pp. 1-11, 13-45.
- Monday, June 24, 1:00-4:30: Social Psychology.
Myers, Psychology, pp. 643-689.
- Tuesday, June 25, 8:30-10:00: Personality.
Myers, Psychology, pp. 489-529.
- Tuesday, June 25, 10:30-12:00: Development.
Guest Presentation by Professor Dana Gross, St. Olaf
Myers, Psychology, pp. 119-169.
- Tuesday, June 25, 1:00-4:30: Project Planning; Website
- Wednesday, June 26, 8:30-10:00: The Nature and Nurture
Myers, Psychology, pp. 85-117.
- Wednesday, June 26, 10:30-12:00: Biological
Guest Presentation by Professor Larry Wichlinski, Carleton
Myers, Psychology, pp. 47-83.
- Wednesday, June 26, 1:00-2:30: Sensation and
Guest Presentation by Professor Uta Wolfe, St. Olaf
Myers, Psychology, pp. 171-207, 209-239.
- Wednesday, June 26, 3:00-4:30: Psychopathology and
Myers, Psychology, pp. 531-565, 567-599.
- Reading: Styron, Darkness Visible, pp. 1-84.
- Reading: Sheehan, Is There No Place on Earth for Me.
- Reading: Schiller & Bennett, The Quiet Room.
- Reading: Jamison, An Unquiet Mind.
- Video: The Brain: Module 25.
- Video: The Mind: Module 30.
- Video: Three Approaches to Psychotherapy.
- Video: HBO: Dead Blue/Surviving Depression.
- Cassette: Virtual Hallucinations.
- Demonstration: DSM-III Case Book.
- Demonstration: Outcome Research: Regression to the Mean.
- Demonstration: Improving Listening Skills.
- Software: Exploring Psychological Disorders.
- Phobias Crossword Puzzle:
- Thursday, June 27, 8:30-10:00: Basic Models of
Myers, Psychology, pp. 287-315.
- Demonstration: Bare, Shaping Word Choices.
- Demonstration: Vernoy (1987), Demonstrating Classical
Conditioning in Intro. Psych.
- Demonstration: McEntarffer (1998), Variation on Operant
- Demonstration: Shapiro (1995), Demonstrations of Human
Capabilities and Limitations.
- Reading: Skinner, Walden Two.
- Video: Limitations of Classical Learning Theory.
- Video: Bandura's Bobo Doll Study.
- Video: The Mind: Module 36.
- Learning Theory Taught at the Zoo:
- Thursday, June 27, 10:30-12:00: Teaching Advance
Guest Presentation by Peter Woollen, Social Studies Teacher
at Lakeville High School.
- Thursday, June 27, 1:00-4:30: Memory, Thinking, and
Myers, Psychology, pp. 317-355, 357-389, 391-421.
- Neisser, John Dean's memory, pp. 139-159.
- Video: The Brain: Module 18.
- Demonstration: Mental Set.
- Demonstration: Insight.
- Demonstration: Confirmation Bias.
- Demonstration: Cognitive Heuristics.
- Hot Hand Research:
- Friday, June 28, 8:30-10:00: Article Presentations.
- Friday, June 28, 10:30-12:00: Summary and Concluding
May 22, 2002